We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
23 May-08:00:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 May-23:56:12 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Roger Warin)
22 May-21:22:16 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
22 May-14:54:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
22 May-11:58:28 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Firmo Espinar)
22 May-10:21:09 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Bob Carnein)
22 May-09:33:28 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 May-07:59:45 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Bob Morgan)
22 May-04:17:03 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (James Catmur)
22 May-02:23:18 The mizunaka collection - ludlamite (Am Mizunaka)
21 May-17:26:32 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Josele)
21 May-16:01:12 Provide miller indices in practice please (Robson Vieira)
21 May-12:49:16 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
20 May-22:03:46 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
20 May-20:45:03 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
20 May-19:11:50 The mizunaka collection - stalactite (Am Mizunaka)
20 May-15:43:58 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
20 May-15:37:59 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
20 May-15:32:02 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
20 May-15:24:04 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
19 May-14:28:05 Re: european mineral and mining museums (Robert Seitz)
19 May-13:04:59 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
19 May-12:31:54 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
19 May-08:49:12 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
19 May-08:08:17 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is May 23, 2024 12:04

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
2010 TGMS from the start to the end
  Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Index -> Mineral Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2009 12:35    Post subject: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

The new Tucson's Show Chairman, John Cesar sent to me the new 2010 banner ad. I published it below and I opened this thread to be used to publish everything that John or everybody related with this mega-show wish to add and promote the TGMS name and Show date.

Welcome here everything related with 2010 TGMS. FMF is extremely happy to help to promote this fantastic worlwide's mineralogical meeting point!

Jordi

2010 Tucson Gem & Mineral Show.jpg
 Description:
The new 2010 TGMS banner ad
 Viewed:  34736 Time(s)

2010 Tucson Gem & Mineral Show.jpg

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2009 12:58    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

Thanks for this Jordi. I'll use this as an opportunity to seek potential exhibitors for the TGMS Show...we're always interested in new collectors/collections or new localities to present to the collecting world. Especially gems and gem minerals this year! Interested folks, or those with recommendations for other museums or collectors should contact me. via TGMS or directly

Also a great time to once again put out the word on competitive exhibits, especially Junior Exhibitors...and remember to let them know that there are significant cash rewards...above and beyond the benefits gained from having the world's major collectors opine on your collection and give tips on how ti focus and/or improve your collection. Those looking for more information should contact Les Presmyk via TGMS or directly

Peter

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2009 16:39    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

Two problems for us Europeans is the rough handling of handluggage at airports, especially in the US where fragile specimens better not be brought after 9/11.

The risk of damage is already high just transporting these natural treasures.
Second the customs papers to be filled out, if any valuable minerals a carnet may be needed. On two occasions I used suchto exhibit in Tucson I did not get my money back because the customs at O Hare was CLOSED ON SUNDAYS!!! I was a student and needed even those 200 dollars back each time! (yes, second time I was re-routed via Chicago)

Would love to exhibit some European specimens in this category but fear it!
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2009 17:22    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

Hello Peter,
I agree that traveling with mineral specimens on airlines is very difficult these days, particularly here in the US. I have never had problems with security at airports such as Munich, Frankfurt or London Heathrow when I try to carry on specimens in my hand luggage. Unfortunately, it is not the same here. The people who screen carry-on bags have absolute authority to say what you can carry on, regardless of whether it is on the "official" list of banned items. I was once told that a fluorite (and not a large one) was a "potential weapon" and was not allowed to board the aircraft with it. This truly limits what I am willing to bring with me to shows like Munich and Ste. Marie.

On the other hand, anything that can be considered an "uncut semi-precious gemstone" - and I think most mineral specimens can qualify - is allowed into the US duty-free. You should not have to pay anything to US customs to travel with them into the country.

Jesse

Peter

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2009 02:57    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

Hi Jesse
Indeed the US custom laws are much more intelligent than the European.
Of course there should not be any duty on mineral specimens but here it is treated as any other "merchandise" i.e. you need to find the classification. Crushed rock, cobble stone, gravel, schist and so on...... It really is time to classify bnatural mineral specimens as one category and of course there should be no tax on such items.
So, bringing a brazilian specimen for instance, boiught at thje Munich show into the US is no problem... it is bringing it back to my own collection in Europe that causes the problem!!!

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2009 16:27    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

Although it is true that there is no customs duty (import tax) to be paid on rough stones entering the USA, that does NOT mean that U.S. Customs officers won't cause serious problems. They have broad discretionary powers to make your life miserable if they don't like your face, or their boss or spouse yelled at them that morning, or any other conceivable capricious reason. They can impound your rocks for a few days and make you pay a customs broker to get them released, for example - which might be on the Monday morning after the show is over (yes, that happened to at least two people I know), even when absolutely no tax payment is required by law! Or they are legally entitled to smash a specimen to check whether you might have hidden drugs inside it (unbelievable, I know, but it happened to me once). However, most of the time, collections enter the USA undamaged and without trouble.

Nevertheless, my advice to anyone thinking of displaying in the USA is to get the rocks transported well in advance of the set-up day. There are customs brokers in Tucson who are knowledgeable about the care of mineral specimens and, for about $200, they can receive shipments of minerals, do the paperwork, and hold the specimens for your arrival in Tucson, where they will even deliver them to your hotel.

John Cesar

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2009 14:25    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

The Tucson Gem & Mineral Show message board has been silent for too long. Now that I am back from vacation I can confirm that the I-10 highway construction is complete and all on-off ramps are open to the public. Even the acclaimed 4th Avenue underpass reconstruction has been completed. This allows the young at heart to jog from the Show to the hot spots on 4th avenue without tripping in the dark, dank old underpass. The City Fathers are still predicting the construction of a 500+ Sheraton Hotel in the Tucson Convention Centers future.

John Cesar
2010 Show Chairman

Gail

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2009 15:12    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

Construction...finished? YIPPPEEEE! It was not fun missing your exit and having to go on for milies and miles. Thanks for the update!

robynahawk

PostPosted: Sep 19, 2009 16:02    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

John or Jordi - would it be possible to get a full size copy of the TGMS banner for use on my blog? is there a website that is up and running with 2010 info?

Robyn Hawk
TucsonGemShow. blogspot. com

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Sep 19, 2009 16:15    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

Well, I requested to John Cesar a bigger image of the banner for FMF and I don't get it yet, so I assume that they are still working on it ;-)

Here you have the official website of the show: https://www.tgms.org/ and this is the website for the Hotel's Shows: https://www.mzexpos.com/arizona.htm

Jordi

robynahawk

PostPosted: Sep 19, 2009 17:08    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

Thanks Jordi!

Robyn

BlueCapProductions

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2009 00:41    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

I wanted to add an announcement to this board that I think will be a very exciting program for the 2010 Tucson show. We started the official announcement at the 2009 Denver Show so I couldn't say anything until now (I JUST returned from Denver this afternoon).

Daniel Trinchillo (Fine Minerals International) and I have been working on a program that will be the first of its kind in Tucson. For the 2010 show we have worked, and will continue to work, very closely with Dave Waisman (Westward Look Show) and the TGMS to present a new series of events that will be highlighting the mineral artists of our hobby.

There are two main events that will happen in 2010 and they are:

SUNDAY EVENING EVENT AT THE WESTWARD LOOK MINERAL SHOW
Feb 7, 2010
Each year the Westward Look Show hosts a special Sunday Evening Event where prominent members of our hobby are invited to present and discuss various topics. For 2010, four prominent mineral artists will take the stage to present their work and perspectives on mineral art. These four Master Artists will be Eberhard Equit, Hildegard Konighofer, Wendell Wilson and Susan Robinson.

In addition to this, prior to their presentation, we will turn the Sonoran Ballroom into a Mineral Artists' Gallery during the cocktail hour where many other mineral artists will have their work on display and be on hand to answer any questions.

TUCSON GEM AND MINERAL SHOW
Feb 11-14, 2010
At the TGMS' main show, we will be setting up a mineral art display gallery where original artwork from Eberhard, Hildegard, Wendell and Susan will be on display. In many cases, the original artwork will be displayed next to the actual mineral specimen. All four artists will also be on hand to answer any questions and this will go on throughout the show.

We will be announcing more details as the program develops via a webpage we have set up for this. You can visit the site at:
https://www.bluecapproductions.com/mineralartists
(link normalized by FMF)

You can download an electronic copy of the brochure we created for this event and you can also sign up for automatic email notifications. As we add artists to the Westward Look Cocktail Hour, we will be announcing them online and via email.

I hope all of you can make it to these very special events. It's quite possibly the only time we'll ever get all these artists together and the recognition and respect they deserve is long overdue.

Thanks for starting this topic Jordi and special thanks to Dave Waisman, Peter Megaw and John Cesar for their help and participation in making this historic event come alive.

-Bryan

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2009 01:49    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

Here -> https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=7566#7566 Peter Megaw wrote:
...how about a TN community group shoot case at Tucson? 5 or 6 of the best from each to show folks how good TNs can be! I'll line the case!

Cheers

Peter

Jim

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2009 07:58    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

Hi Jordi,

Yes, I'm on it! I'll be working with Bryan Swoboda on making this happen. Let's hope we get great participation.

Thanks!

MAD about crystals

robynahawk

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2009 00:27    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

I just got this announcement from Robert James over at the International School of Gemology. He has a fun plan to get the students to get out and see a lot of different vendors - almost like a treasure hunt. This one benefits the student and the vendors:

The ISG Vendor Hunt!

At the ISG at Tucson 2010 event we are holding our First Annual ISG Vendor Hunt. This fun event will challenge our ISG community members and members of the Jewelers Ethics Association to go out and find you...the Tucson Vendors. The purpose is to get our folks out to the shows to find and meet you, and generate positive business relations for all.

Vendor Sign Up: It costs you nothing other than some business cards. To participate all you need do is be a vendor at one of the downtown Tucson shows, such as the AGTA, GJX, Pueblo Inn, Super 8.anywhere your booth is located....we will find you. To sign up just send your business information including contact name, address, products you offer, and show location to the: isg(at)schoolofgemology(dot)com

Our community members are going to get a list of all participating vendors and they will use the Colored Stone Tucson Show Guide to find you, and come meet you and get a business card from you. The contestants that meet the most registered vendors and turns in the most business contact cards will win great prizes.....and so will you, the vendors!

The vendors who get the most business cards into the hands of our ISG and JEA community members will also win great prizes. Here is a list of prizes so far this year:

Contestant Prizes:

Grand Prize: GemDialogue Color System, value $450
Second Prize: Photoatlas of Inclusions in Gemstones Vol 3, by Gubelin and Koivula, value $300.00
Third Prize: 15.35ct rough AAA Bi-color Plush Sunstone dug by Robert James, value PRICELESS!
Fourth Prize: 25.45ctw. rough diamond necklace strand, value $275.00
Fifth Prize: 1.10ct octahedral diamond crystal value $250.00
Sixth Prize: NAJA Blue Diamond Paperweight value PRICELESS!
Seventh Prize: Through My Microscope hard cover edition by Robert James, value $69.95
Eighth Prize: 1 week subscription to the Auction Market Resource value $40.00

Vendor Prizes:

Grand Prize: Full ISG Registered Gemologist Appraiser Scholarship.
Second Prize: 28.93ct AAA Red Plush Sunstone from Double Eagle #16 Mine.
Third Prize: Full ISG Registered Gemologist Scholarship.

Winners will be announced at the ISG Reception that is free to the industry. The ISG Reception will be held at the Hotel Arizona on Saturday evening where everyone gets free BEvERages and food starting at 6pm until we float the keg. Cash bar and free wine also will be provided. Prizes will be awarded at 6:30pm at the ISG Reception.
-----------------------------------

I would really love to see the mineral dealers get involved in this to expose these Gemology students to the origins of the gems they are studying. They are only in Tucson from 2 Feb. to 7 Feb. 2010.

More info at: https://www.schoolofgemology.com/Tucson2010/Tucson2010SignUp.html
(link normalized by FMF)

Robyn Hawk

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2009 16:47    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

jimB wrote:
I think it is time for some one to sponsor an international Fluorite case. An invitational with generous terms so any one owning a really good to superb Fluorite would be able to participate. It would be a wonderful display for sure.

Jesse Fisher wrote:
Jim, I recall that there is an international event of some note in your home town each year. Are you volunteering?

jimB wrote:
Jesse, darned if I dont think you are right, legend has it there is a rock fest near by.
I think Im about to get sucked into a T N vortex with a Texan, Ill know more tomorrow. Ill have to think carefully about doing two cases. If they are 6 foot wood and side by side I think it could be done. Through this site would be a help. Ill consider it .

Jesse Fisher wrote:
Jim,
A six-foot case of thumbnails? What's this supposed to be, a vision test for all us old farts? Fluorite sounds much more fun. Go talk to Peter, he says he's always looking for more good displays.

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Oct 21, 2009 12:16    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

robynahawk wrote:
John or Jordi - would it be possible to get a full size copy of the TGMS banner for use on my blog?...

Hi Robin, I got the full size Tucson's banner and I already replaced the former one -> https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=6177#6177

Please copy this new one if you wish. Otherwise please send to me an email and I will let you know the email address of the banner's supplier.

Jordi

robynahawk

PostPosted: Oct 21, 2009 16:41    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

Thanks Jordi - you are the best!

Robyn

John Cesar

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2009 20:03    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

Jordi:

I must commend our favorite forum coordinator for the correct reference and plug to the Tucson Gem & Mineral ShowTM -> https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=8358#8358
Perhaps he can teach me how to get the trademark superscript after our name since I haven't mastered the skill on this forum.

Since our TGMS Show is rapidly approaching, I want everyone to know that our 2010 Show poster is almost off the press and will be coming to Jordi's '2010 TGMS from the start to the end' thread in the next few days. You poster buyers out there will get an early look there.

Thanks, Jordi

John Cesar
2010 TGMS Show Chairman

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Dec 07, 2009 04:38    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

Hi Cesar,

Thanks to participate in FMF. I believe is a great chance for everybody to have you here informing about the details of the next Tucson Gem and Mineral Show™ (Main Show), as well as participating on discussions about it.

John Cesar wrote:
...Perhaps he can teach me how to get the trademark superscript after our name since I haven't mastered the skill on this forum...

About the skill to publish your right trademark: Tucson Gem and Mineral Show™ (Main Show), we haven't in FMF an appropriate skill for it, but you (and everybody) can just copy and paste this text:

Tucson Gem and Mineral Show™

that I used in this message and in https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=8358#8358

Also I believe that it could be valid to use, as you did:

Tucson Gem and Mineral Show TM

so, I believe that on one way or other the trademark would be respected.

Jordi

Index -> Mineral Shows   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 3
  Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

Jump to: