We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
24 May-00:45:46 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 May-17:22:08 Re: help to identify a find (Dragrace7)
23 May-17:19:10 Re: help to identify a find (Dragrace7)
23 May-16:25:37 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Bob Carnein)
23 May-16:04:00 Re: help to identify a find (Jordi Fabre)
23 May-15:37:59 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Pete Richards)
23 May-15:22:39 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Pete Richards)
23 May-14:49:48 Re: help to identify a find (Dragrace7)
23 May-14:27:55 Re: help to identify a find (Steveb)
23 May-14:19:58 Re: help to identify a find (Dany Mabillard)
23 May-14:17:51 Re: help to identify a find (Josele)
23 May-13:00:07 Help to identify a find (Dragrace7)
23 May-12:59:21 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Robson Vieira)
23 May-08:00:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 May-23:56:12 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Roger Warin)
22 May-21:22:16 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
22 May-14:54:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
22 May-11:58:28 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Firmo Espinar)
22 May-10:21:09 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Bob Carnein)
22 May-09:33:28 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 May-07:59:45 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Bob Morgan)
22 May-04:17:03 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (James Catmur)
22 May-02:23:18 The mizunaka collection - ludlamite (Am Mizunaka)
21 May-17:26:32 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Josele)
21 May-16:01:12 Provide miller indices in practice please (Robson Vieira)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is May 24, 2024 09:06

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Pakistani Apatite locality help

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Joan Massagué

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2009 08:49    Post subject: Pakistani Apatite locality help  

Pakistan mineral experts out there, help please! Would you know the locality of this type of apatite from the Northern Areas, in Pakistan? I suspect that it is from Alchuri, but I am not sure. The exact locality information got lost along the way, but I liked the specimen for its remarkable habit and I added it to my collection.

As can be seen in the photos, this is a cluster of three light-green, prismatic crystals to 4.3 cm in length, each unit being a contact twin itself, and each unit bearing “faden” stress marks. The crystals are slightly curved outward (this is most noticeable in the right-side crystal in photo 2). On some spots there is a dark coating of what looks like chlorite. All these signs suggest to me that this apatite is from an alpine formation. The two main alpine formations in the Northern Areas are the Alchuri/Hachupa area and the Tormiq valley, as far as I know. Apatite is relatively abundant in Alchuri. However, there is nothing on Mindat like this piece.

Any clues or comments would be much appreciated!

Apatite.Pakistan.3.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  22214 Time(s)

Apatite.Pakistan.3.jpg

Apatite.Pakistan.2.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  22250 Time(s)

Apatite.Pakistan.2.jpg

Apatite.Pakistan.1.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  22216 Time(s)

Apatite.Pakistan.1.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2009 09:03    Post subject: Re: Pakistani Apatite locality help  

According what the Pakistani dealers say, this could be from Tormiq, but as you know better than many people, their localities infos are, at least, dubious...;-)

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2009 14:20    Post subject: Re: Pakistani Apatite locality help  

Joan Massagué wrote:
Any clues or comments would be much appreciated!

The nearest picture of a Pakistani apatite I've been able to find on the net is shown below. It is indeed from Alchuri and is accompanied by some inclusions of calcite and bissolite. The habit is not much different from yours, and the deeper color might be explained by the light source and/or further photo processing. Perhaps with a more careful search other closer pictures can be found.

Apatite-Alchuri.jpg
 Description:
45 mm x 44 mm x 29 mm
Photo: http://www.mineralmasterpiece.com/images/Specimens/MBudg/MMS-331_Apatite_3view.jpg
 Viewed:  22201 Time(s)

Apatite-Alchuri.jpg

Joan Massagué

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2009 14:46    Post subject: Re: Pakistani Apatite locality help  

Jordi, Carles,

Thank you both for your replies, and for the time spent surfing the web, Carles. The habit of these crystals is not quite the same, but I'm glad that all the indications continue to point at Tormiq or Alchuri as the most likely locality. In fact, although these two localities are tens of Km apart, sometimes they are indiscriminately given as the source of epidote specimens and other minerals that look very much as coming from the same find. By the time specimens reach the markets in Peshawar, the given locality –Tormiq versus Alchuri– is a word-of-mouth affair and the actual locality can be difficult if not impossible to trace. Let's hope that someone else can shed more light.

Joan

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2009 15:14    Post subject: Re: Pakistani Apatite locality help  

The apatite definitely looks to be from one of the alpine metamorphic localities, rather than the more common granitic pegmatites in the region. Alchuri and Tormiq are the most prolific localities for the alpine minerals, so it is highly likely that your specimen came from one or the other. I would recommend contacting Dudley Blauwet (Mountain Minerals International) for his opinion. He has traveled extensively through Northern Pakistan for over 25 years and is meticulous with the location information of the specimens he gets there.

Joan Massagué

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2009 15:34    Post subject: Re: Pakistani Apatite locality help  

Jesse, good idea. I will try contacting Dudley, who indeed does venture into the upper Shigar. Thanks!

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2009 15:42    Post subject: Re: Pakistani Apatite locality help  

And Herb Obodda as well...

Peter

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2009 17:19    Post subject: Re: Pakistani Apatite locality help  

The area Tormiq/Alchuri it certainly looks like.

Tormiq and Alchuri and other names on the East side of the Shigar valley are names of the villages and specimens are labeled after Somewhich side of the ridge they were dug out, but geologically same area.

I did not see exactly this type from the alpine clefts there but many varieties.
Dudley Blauwet has travelled very extensively here and only by speaking to reliable miners, and visiting the localities one can get certain information. He has perhaps seen exactly this material.

Ones I was shown one specimen and the pakistani dealer gave me one location which was 10 km off the real site only to disguise origin. I was laughing and simply told him, no it is from X Mine. Many times I have seen specimens with 150 km incorrect locality as well for the same reason.
If you do not have original information, I always write assumed locality in brackets, as to keep clear info.

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2009 03:28    Post subject: Re: Pakistani Apatite locality help  

Peter wrote:
The area Tormiq/Alchuri it certainly looks like. Tormiq and Alchuri and other names on the East side of the Shigar valley are names of the villages and specimens are labeled after Somewhich side of the ridge they were dug out, but geologically same area.

Hi Peter!

As you state, Alchuri is really in the Shigar Valley, but Tormiq, which is a valley by itself, is some 90 km (by road) from Alchuri, going west, not far from the well known Stak Nala. Whether they can be considered the same geological area or not I'm not sure. For more details you may want to look up this map https://carlesmillan.cat/min/PakistanNA.jpg (please go directly to the central area).

Peter

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2009 03:47    Post subject: Re: Pakistani Apatite locality help  

Hi Carles

Thanks for your good map! You are correct.
Distance is long and the Haramosh Ridge is inbetween.
Locations usually referred to as Haramosh is w of Tormiq although I am sure there are also good veins to the east.
To the west of Tormiq is the huge uplift ( Nanga Parbat/Haramosh) and even on its westact tern con side (west of Sassi) are similar mineralizations but fewer.
I did not go up the Tormiq Valley valley myself.
You even have Raikot valley on your map which most people have no idea of.
There was one small incredibly beautiful di and tri hexagonal blue blue aquamarine on matrix found there a few years ago.

I am sure D Blauwet has been up the Tormiq valley himself and he has seen much more lots of minerals from here than I have.

Peter

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2009 03:49    Post subject: Re: Pakistani Apatite locality help  

Carl. Next time we are in Barcelona I should let you know.
Peter

Jason

PostPosted: Oct 19, 2009 08:28    Post subject: Re: Pakistani Apatite locality help  

I sent a couple of your pics, Joan, to a few of my dudes in Peshawar to see what they thought about the location and this is the responses i got...
1)"Its from a Shigger mine also available at Astic Nala, near Shigger mine Gilgit/Pakistan"
2)"The apatite photos you sent are to the best of my knowledge are of Turmik mine in Skardoo. Black tourmaline, Albaite, quartz and sphene and some other minerals are also found in the same mine"
Now both of them run shops in namak mandi but that doesn't make to much a difference..doesn't really narrow it down to much..LOL..oh well i tried..still waiting to hear back from another one..he is the guy that travels to most of the locations he gets his Pak mins. from..

Joan Massagué

PostPosted: Oct 19, 2009 11:57    Post subject: Re: Pakistani Apatite locality help  

Amethystguy,

I am very grateful for the trouble that you took to circulate these photos among dealers in Pakistan. I agree that their input doesn't really favor one locality over the other, Tormiq versus Alchuri/Hachupa. I have never heard of "Astic Nala", but I suspect your source is referring to Stak Nala, which is long famous for its multicolored tourmalines in albite, its magnificent hambergite twins, and the occasional bright green fluorite. However, Stak Nala is not a prominent source of apatite, and I believe is mostly a pegmatitic formation, not an alpine one. The Stak valley is not a tributary of the Shigar valley anyway. So this lead is not a very compelling.

The second reply you received refers to Tormiq, which is one of our two likely sources. However, "Turmik mine in Skardoo" gives me some pause in terms of ruling out Alchuri as the source. Alchuri is actually closer to Skardu than is Tormiq. Bottom line, we remain at "Tormiq or Alchuri" as the locality! There's always hope that Dudley will shed some light into this. I will take the piece to show him at the next show.

Thanks!

Joan

Jason

PostPosted: Oct 19, 2009 22:44    Post subject: Re: Pakistani Apatite locality help  

yep..like a few had said once it gets to market then it's anybody guess except the person who extracted it..let us know what you find out

Joan Massagué

PostPosted: Nov 15, 2009 17:18    Post subject: Re: Pakistani Apatite locality help  

I just heard from Dudley Blauwet, who kindly replied to my email query from Pakistan, after descending from the mountains there. Dudley states that the green apatite from Pakistan has occurred at Niaslo, in the Basha Valley, at an alpine cleft-type deposit. He does not recall having seen any apatite of that color from either Alchuri or Tormiq.

(Thank you Dudley! Very few would have you tenacity and dedication to venture into those areas, at this time of year, and in these days of turmoil).

Note: Niaslo is located half-way up the Basha valley, as the Shigar valley splits into the Basha and Braldu valleys).

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: