We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
22 May-23:56:12 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Roger Warin)
22 May-21:22:16 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
22 May-14:54:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
22 May-11:58:28 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Firmo Espinar)
22 May-10:21:09 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Bob Carnein)
22 May-09:33:28 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 May-07:59:45 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Bob Morgan)
22 May-04:17:03 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (James Catmur)
22 May-02:23:18 The mizunaka collection - ludlamite (Am Mizunaka)
21 May-17:26:32 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Josele)
21 May-16:01:12 Provide miller indices in practice please (Robson Vieira)
21 May-12:49:16 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
20 May-22:03:46 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
20 May-20:45:03 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
20 May-19:11:50 The mizunaka collection - stalactite (Am Mizunaka)
20 May-15:43:58 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
20 May-15:37:59 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
20 May-15:32:02 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
20 May-15:24:04 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
19 May-14:28:05 Re: european mineral and mining museums (Robert Seitz)
19 May-13:04:59 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
19 May-12:31:54 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
19 May-08:49:12 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
19 May-08:08:17 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
19 May-02:34:57 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is May 23, 2024 03:42

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Hydrogen peroxide rxns with metalic oxides

Index -> Conserving, Preparing and Cleaning Minerals

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Darryl

PostPosted: Oct 21, 2009 20:15    Post subject: Hydrogen peroxide rxns with metalic oxides  

In my initial post under the heading "cleaning quartz" I made the comment that I had used solutions of hydrogen peroxide ranging in concentrations from 3% - 30% to dissolve manganese oxide cements from sandstones. As unreasonable as this sounded when I was first told it would work, I tried it and it did work. The only thing I could ever figure out was that the oxygen from the peroxide was combining with that of the metalic oxide and going off as O2 (and was the source of the strong bubbling action) while the manganese ions combined with the OH that was left from the peroxide. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not this is what happened?
Reply to topic Reply with quote

alfredo
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Oct 21, 2009 23:12    Post subject: Re: Hydrogen peroxide rxns with metalic oxides  

Hydrogen peroxide by itself won't dissolve manganese oxides, it needs an acidic environment to work, which doesn't necessarily imply a lot of acid - just a few drops of almost any cmmon acid to slightly acidify the solution will work.

Montanpark

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2009 09:48    Post subject: Re: Hydrogen peroxide rxns with metalic oxides  

Hi all,
please don´t forget that manganese oxide only catalyses the decomposition of H2O2 to water ond oxygen. What is dissolving the Mn-Oxide is the acid .. and you should be careful to do this with muriatic as the reaction produces toxic chlorine gas. The decomposition of the peroxide only loosens the particles in more or less amorphous Mn oxides as it can soak the material well and the small gas bubbles 'blast' off the stuff. The chemical solution with HCl for instance reacts like this:
MnO2 + 4 HCl -> MnCl2 + Cl2 + 2 H2O (with MnO2 as given oxide)

cheers
Roger

Darryl

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2009 11:02    Post subject: Re: Hydrogen peroxide rxns with metalic oxides  

Hello group,

Many thanks to Roger and Alfredo for their input. Their mention of the role acids play in the reaction I observed brought to mind some details I did not put in my earlier posts because I thought them irrelevant, now I see they are not. I am afraid my procedues will appear very sloppy to many but my only interest in breaking down the sandstones was to see if I could find bits of precious metal in them so I wanted to get them stripped as quicklly, cheaply, and safely as possible. I did use various acids including HDL, sulfuric, nitric and aqua regia under a fume hood on some small samples but over 95% were done with hydrogen peroxide from one source or another.

I I used hydrogen peroxide from 3 sources: 3% solutions purchased at various retail stores; 30% lab grade peroxide that I obtained from the chemistry department at the college where I was teaching at the time; and a solution I purchased by the gallon at a swimming pool supply company. While the peroxide from the later source had a distinct vinegar smell to it I didn't think about the acid in it being what was doing the dissolving. I am unaware of the acidity of the 3% strore purchased peroxide but it may be acidic. As for the 30% solution I obtained from the chem lab, I don't see how it could have been an acidic solution BUT since it produced a dangerously vigerous reaction when I first tried it, I dilluted it with tap water for subsequant dissolution trials. Could the tap water have provided the required acidity to which you referred? Thanks for any additional information you can provide since I plan to return to this project in the future.

Index -> Conserving, Preparing and Cleaning Minerals   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: