We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
04 Jun-15:27:00 Re: the mizunaka collection - stibnite (Am Mizunaka)
04 Jun-08:39:41 Re: collection of michael shaw - malachite (Michael Shaw)
04 Jun-01:49:14 Re: the mizunaka collection (Jordi Fabre)
03 Jun-21:44:21 The mizunaka collection - stibnite (Am Mizunaka)
03 Jun-06:16:31 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-13:39:20 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
02 Jun-08:51:39 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
02 Jun-02:27:53 The mizunaka collection - rhodchrosite (Am Mizunaka)
02 Jun-01:36:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-01:17:41 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Volkmar Stingl)
01 Jun-22:11:04 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Roger Warin)
01 Jun-20:02:10 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Alfredo)
01 Jun-10:24:08 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
01 Jun-10:21:30 Is malachite rare? (Matt_zukowski)
01 Jun-09:51:59 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Matt_zukowski)
01 Jun-09:21:32 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
01 Jun-07:40:50 Re: mineral identification tips (Cascaillou)
31 May-16:04:59 Is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Gk68)
31 May-15:40:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
31 May-15:40:12 Re: is this dolomite-pyrite-siderite? (Gk68)
31 May-09:28:53 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
31 May-08:49:08 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Alfredo)
31 May-07:33:18 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
31 May-07:26:07 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (James Catmur)
31 May-06:33:57 Is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Jun 04, 2024 18:08

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Who was Waller?

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Festina

PostPosted: Sep 04, 2010 04:54    Post subject: Who was Waller?  

Hello !
I was reading an 18th century book in which there is a reference to a classification of minerals done by Waller.

Anyone knows who was this Waller and in what book he published his taxonomic system?

Many thanks
Reply to topic Reply with quote

David Von Bargen

PostPosted: Sep 04, 2010 06:54    Post subject: Re: Who was Waller?  

I wonder if they were referring to the Swedish mineralogist Johan Gottschalk Wallerius.

Val

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Sep 04, 2010 12:39    Post subject: Re: Who was Waller?  

I think there was a Waller method to remove Iron staining on minerals such as Calcite/ Carbonates safely. I wonder if it refers to that person?

GneissWare

PostPosted: Sep 04, 2010 13:48    Post subject: Re: Who was Waller?  

I found a reference to his 1747 work, stating:

Waller's System: According to the system of which was published in 1747 minerals were into four classes namely Terrce Lapides Minerce Concreta Each of these classes was subdivided four orders namely the first class into Macrce Minerales and Arenacece the second class into carei Viirescentes Apyri and Saxa the third into Salia Sulphurea Semimetalla and Metal a fourth into Pari Petrifacta Figurata and Calculi.

Waller was based in Stockholm.

His system is also referenced in "A general system of nature: through the three grand kingdoms of animals ..."
By Carl von Linné, 1806

However, bibliographies are absent from most of these older books, so pinning him down is difficult. Carl von Linné's treatise contains many classification schemes from folks I had never heard of either. Interesting thread.

Pete Richards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 04, 2010 14:14    Post subject: Re: Who was Waller?  

Val wrote:
I think there was a Waller method to remove Iron staining on minerals such as Calcite/ Carbonates safely. I wonder if it refers to that person?

There was and is, but it is named after a Canadian mineralogist or geologist who may still be alive, and certainly was not alive in the 18th or even 19th century! The method, which involves sodium salts of citrate, bicarbonate, and dithionite, is in the soils literature and other places and I don't think Waller invented it, but somehow he got his name attached to it when he started using it to remove iron stains from minerals.

This method works sometimes when others fail, because it is pH-buffered. But it can attack minerals unexpectedly, too. I figured it would be safe for hemimorphite, but after a half hour, a sample of microcrystals were reduced to about 60% of their original size!

Antonio Alcaide
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 04, 2010 15:40    Post subject: Re: Who was Waller?  

David Von Bargen wrote:
I wonder if they were referring to the Swedish mineralogist Johan Gottschalk Wallerius.

I agree with David. As soon as I can I will post a translated summary of his life and work (extracted from "Los nombres de los minerales -The mineral names" by José Luis Zamora, a member of the Spanish message board.

In Spanish (free donwload is possible)

https://www.foro-minerales.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=40861#40861

Regards.

Harjo

PostPosted: Sep 04, 2010 16:05    Post subject: Re: Who was Waller?  

Pete, what you wrote intrigues me. I used "Wallers solution" to remove iron staining on Hemimorphite several times, always without any problem.

Antonio Alcaide
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 04, 2010 18:04    Post subject: Re: Who was Waller?  

The promised summary:

Wallerius Gottschalk (1709-1785): Swedish geologist who gave his name to the vallerite. Professor at Upsala University, he is known to have been the first geologist to establish a classification system of minerals according to chemical criteria. For that purpose he had to develop the chemical analysis and some qualitative tests. He also discovered several minerals.
(extracted from 'The name of the minerals' by José Luis Zamora)

From other sources: He wrote the book Agriculturae fundamenta chemica (1761) and he published several other studies on chemical, mineralogical and geological subjects and he used his own farm Hagelstena in Alsike (south of Uppsala) as an experimental field.

I'm not completely sure but it is very likely that Wallerius is the Latin equivalent of Waller as usual at that time (remember that most of the scientific books were published in Latin and Latin was the language at University).

The relationship with Linnaeus took place. They were of the same age and colleagues at Upsala. I have not found any references to the exact book where his classification system appears. It could be only a quotation made by Linnaeus as GneissWare suggests.

Regards.

David Von Bargen

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2010 06:23    Post subject: Re: Who was Waller?  

Johan Gottschalk Wallerius 1747
Systema Mineralogicum: Quo Corpora Mineralia In Classes, Ordines, Genera Et Species Suis Cum Varietatibus Divisa Describuntur, Atque Observationibus, Experimentis Et Figuris A Neis Illustrantur

This was recently republished and is available in paperback (for those who can read latin)

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: